Book Review: Captivated by You (Crossfire #4) by Sylvia Day

22 Nov 2014

ZERO FARK GIVEN STARS 
*RAGE MODE* 

23172459

PURCHASE ON AMAZON: HERE

Gideon calls me his angel, but he’s the miracle in my life. My gorgeous, wounded warrior, so determined to slay my demons while refusing to face his own. 

 The vows we'd exchanged should have bound us tighter than blood and flesh. Instead they opened old wounds, exposed pain and insecurities, and lured bitter enemies out of the shadows. I felt him slipping from my grasp, my greatest fears becoming my reality, my love tested in ways I wasn’t sure I was strong enough to bear. 

 At the brightest time in our lives, the darkness of his past encroached and threatened everything we’d worked so hard for. We faced a terrible choice: the familiar safety of the lives we’d had before each other or the fight for a future that suddenly seemed an impossible and hopeless dream…

♥ Most epic Buddy Read with my funny ladies: Eda, Flo & Supreet! Thanks lovelies, couldn't have done this without you! ♥

 

In today's lesson on how to ruin an initially great series, here's an easy step-to-step guide. 

Step 1: Write a trilogy and announce at the end of the book that there'll be more books to come!
 

Step 2: Make your readers wait for 1 and a half year for the next book to be out.  

Step 3: Releases said book to only find out later that it's filled with nonsensical bored out of my freakin mind filler plot. 
 

  Step 4: Charges $8 for said book. 
 

  Step 5: Ends the book by saying the next one is coming soon. WELL, RINSE AND REPEAT PEOPLE. 
 

 Well now that's outta the way, I'm not even gonna say it's a huge disappointment because clearly, I give ZERO FARKS about this series anymore.

   

  But to sum this book up for me, basically this is what I honestly think SD felt when she wrote this book. 

 SD: Oh dear, my readers love Gideon & Eva so much, I can't let this trilogy end yet. Perhaps I should write more books and continue this series. But what else can I write about these two anymore? HMMM. 

   

  (6 months later) 
SD: Oh gosh, I'm still stuck but I need to write SOMETHING soon. Perhaps I should let my readers wait a little longer.

  (Another 6 months later)
SD: Okay they're all hounding me, I'm gonna do this! Gideon and Eva...okay I'm just gonna leave them to their dysfunctional ways and have them yelling back and forth at each other. Now let's throw in some jealousy, everyone loves a good drama. Okay Corrine and Brett, it's your time to shine again!

   

 SD: What else...how about some more filler scenes with Cary, Gideon's mummy and stepdaddy. Family drama is always so much fun! And let's throw in Megumi too although I'm sure no one cares about her. Oh and of course, let's not forget those sex scenes! Office scene anyone?

   

 SD: Now for some emotional scenes, get my readers to ache for Gideon's awful past and his damaged self. And Eva dear, let's make her a crazy insecure wife that drives Gideon mad because she's so damn good at it. I think my readers will love watching these two getting so frustrated at each other, it'll be so fun! 

   

 SD: Anddd voila! Now that'll satisfy my readers long enough to keep them waiting for the next one :D

   

 And there you have it. It truly felt like the author couldn't even be bothered to write a proper book after making her readers wait for what seems to be an eternity. What a complete joke. The writing and plot was completely half-arsed and almost like she wrote the book JUST BECAUSE SHE HAD TO. Boring, boring and for crying out loud, AWFULLY BORING. 

 Gideon and Eva's relationship was in a constant loop of insecurities and basically rehashing the same old shit over and over and over again. "Oh stop hurting me!" "I can't live without you!" "Let's just fight and have awesome make-up sex!". And although the descriptive sex scenes were cut down, it was still all "let's just have sex everywhere because it fixes all our problems". Yup, we're talking morning sex, bathroom sex, kitchen counter sex, limo sex, office sex etc AND ALL WHICH I DON'T GIVE A FLYING FARK ANYMORE. 

  This could have easily been Entwined with You 2.0 where basically it was all filler and no progression. What's new? Nothing. Nothing at all *yawns*

   

 I have ZERO respect for this author anymore and I think I speak on behalf of all the readers that felt cheated by this awful filler read after making us wait for so long. And not only did she write a book that isn't worth the money we paid for, she didn't even bother to thank her readers in her acknowledgements. 

 So congratulations SD if you're trying to drive this series into the ground so deep under that it can never recover because you think you can earn a bucketload by playing us readers.

   

 Aaaand I'm done. Sylvia Day, you have officially lost a reader forever. And for the record, I'm giving this NEGATIVE 5 STARS because I can #sorrynotsorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment