Book Review: Fighting Silence by Aly Martinez

29 May 2015

23206497
Book Title: Fighting Silence
Author: Aly Martinez
Series: On The Ropes #1
Release Date: Feb 23rd, 2015
Genres: New Adult, Fighter Romance
Sound is an abstract concept for most people. We spend our lives blocking out the static in order to focus on what we believe is important. But what if, when the clarity fades into silence, it's the obscure background noise that you would give anything to hold on to?

I've always been a fighter. With parents who barely managed to stay out of jail and two little brothers who narrowly avoided foster care, I became skilled at dodging the punches life threw at me. Growing up, I didn’t have anything I could call my own, but from the moment I met Eliza Reynolds, she was always mine. I became utterly addicted to her and the escape from reality we provided each other. Throughout the years, she had boyfriends and I had girlfriends, but there wasn't a single night that I didn’t hear her voice.

You see, meeting the love of my life at age thirteen was never part of my plan. However, neither was gradually going deaf at the age of twenty-one.

They both happened anyway.

Now, I'm on the ropes during the toughest battles of my life. Fighting for my career. Fighting the impending silence. Fighting for her.

Every night, just before falling asleep, she sighs as a final conscious breath leaves her.

I think that's the sound I'll miss the most.

BUY LINKS
AMAZON US // KOBO // B&N

{READ MORE FOR ALLISON'S REVIEW!}


 photo C9B34540-280E-45D7-8115-904AC928D2EE_zpslgsj25uf.jpg 

 I'm not sure what took me so long to read Fighting Silence- . There's tons of glowing reviews for this books, reviews that are well-deserved, I might add! Typically I'm hit or miss with the New Adult genre. I can take a fair amount of drama but it needs to be the angsty kind and not immature. THIS is the kind of New Adult reads I love! It has all the elements of that first time at young love- coupled with a fair amount of strife yet hope- and bucket loads of angst for good measure. Perfect!

   

  Till and Eliza met in grade school. Not really friends, but classmates. Until one day Till climbs through an abandoned apartment window looking for a bit of solace. What he found was Eliza. Both 13-year old kids finding peace and quiet away from the hell of their home life. Escape. Fantasy. Years pass and their friendship and connection grows within their special haven. Till struggles to be a student, work two jobs to pay the rent his mother doesn't pay, and feed his two younger brothers. Until one day he notices a new gym in town. Boxing. Can he afford to add one more thing to his never-ending responsibilities? Could this pay off in his future? 

  "I had already been drowning in the ocean of life. Every gasp of air was a struggle. Just as I would breach the surface, filling my lungs with hope and determination to make it through another day, I was forced back under- harder every time."

 

 I really connected with this story is so many ways. The author did a perfect job displaying the hardships of urban life, especially with parents suffering through issues of their own. Kids end up raising their siblings just to put food in their bellies- the ADC checks going towards drugs and alcohol. It wasn't overdone. It was realistic. The connection between Till and Eliza was a slow build without the unrealistic insta-love. It was true and honest and Till only wanted the best for his Eliza. He just didn't realize right away that HE was what's best for her.

   photo EBBEFB15-CA3C-4C17-94C4-E56700254E77_zpsxzpz25wl.jpg 

 That's about all I'm giving away of the plot. Read and experience the young love story that is Till and Eliza. Two young adults borne from squalor, facing life struggles, but with love and family, anything can happen if you set your sights on it. 

  "I love you, Eliza." I relaxed as he very gradually filled me. There were fireworks. Stars. Every possible cliche I could conjure. No. It was him. We were young and reckless. There was no condom. Or discussion. There were hands, mouths, and tongues. Fingernails raking his skin and his hand in my hair. Slow glides followed by deep thrusts. Desperation. Comfort. There was Till. And Eliza. 

 Yah...enough said from me. 

 Looking forward to Flint's book Fighting Shadows, out this summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment